Staff card FAQs

Please click on the links below for a quick guide to your University card and who to contact for certain issues.

Please note

If you have a problem with your single sign on (sso) or email address please speak with IT Services on +44 (0) 1865 6 12345.

If you have an access issue with your card, please speak with your local department or college administrator. You can also contact the FM Helpdesk for further information on +44 (0) 1865 2 70087 or email



If you need a University card, please speak with your Departmental or College Administrator who will request one for you. 

University Cards are valid for a maximum of four years. The expiry date will be set to your contact of employment or approved academic visit if this is less than four years.

Your University Card becomes invalid when you cease to hold the status indicated on it or if you are suspended from access to the premises and facilities of the University.

  • If your card is approaching its expiry date (4-6 weeks before expiry date), contact your administrator who will liaise with us to request a renewal.
  • One month prior to the date your University Card is due to expire, you will receive an automated email from IT Services advising you to contact your college or department administrator to arrange for a card renewal.
  • Your college or department administrator will authorise the renewal by notifying the University Card Office.
  • Your new card will then be issued to your college or department administrator for you to collect. At this point you must surrender your old card.
  • Any changes or errors on your University Card must be managed by your college or departmental administrator.

New staff cards will be sent directly to your college or departmental administrator.

If you work at various departments or colleges and need an additional email address then contact IT services Helpdesk directly on 01865 612345 who can help with this.

Name changes should first be made to any relevant local systems, if applicable (i.e. the HR system CORE). Changes will then feed through to the card database automatically and you will be contacted to verify that you want a new University Card.

Name changes for college staff or academic visitors who are not in CORE can be processed by asking your administrator to email the Card Office to request a new card.

You must provide legal proof of the name change for this to be processed. 

If your card is lost or stolen, please inform your college or department administrator immediately. They will be able to request a replacement and send details to you for how to pay online.

Reporting this loss quickly will prevent unauthorised use of your University Card for which you may be held responsible. Payment should be made after the card has been reported as lost and the replacement request made to the Card Office.

If you recover a lost or stolen card after requesting a replacement, it cannot be used and you must return it to your administrator. This is because the barcode and internal DESFire Chip are changed after a card is reported as lost or stolen, which means your old card has effectively been cancelled and cannot be reactivated.

Please note:

  • There is no fee for replacing a stolen card where a crime number has been provided.
  • If you need urgent access to libraries, the Bodleian Library Admissions Office in the Weston Library on Broad Street will issue you a day pass until your new University Card is ready for collection.
  • If your card is damaged or worn there is no charge for a replacement.

The photograph on your card should be a reasonable likeness.  You must provide a new photograph when the current one is more than 10 years old or if your appearance has changed considerably. When your card is due for renewal, please ensure the photograph is still suitable.

If you require a new photograph for your University Card, please email a jpeg file of the new photograph to your administrator who will then forward it to the Card Office for uploading to the card database. Electronic images can be used for replacement cards only.

Contact us

University Card Office
6 Worcester Street

+44 (0) 1865 2 70576

1 Start 2 Complete
List of site pages