Wytham Chalet Refurbishment
Wytham Woods were bequeathed to the University in 1942 by Raymond ffennell in memory of his late daughter
|About the building||
The Woods are one of the most researched areas of woodland in the world and contain a variety of habitats, including ancient semi-natural woodland, secondary woodland and plantations, a valley side mire, an arable wheat plot and a variety of ponds.
The Chalet was originally dismantled, transported from Switzerland and rebuilt in Wytham Woods in the 1930s. Since then it has been used for research and other activities. Prior to the most recent works the only major refurbishment works undertaken were the replacement of the original timber shingled roof with a slate one.
The recent refurbishment works have greatly improved the facility providing high-quality laboratory space, teaching facilities and accommodation for researchers and visiting groups.
|Main contractor||Richard Ward (Oxford) Ltd|