Card applications

Coronavirus service update

For the latest instructions and guidance for new, lost or stolen cards, card renewals and all other card related services, please visit the University Card Office section on the Coronavirus: FAQs and updates webpage

The University Card Office is currently prioritising cards for new students and members of staff, and maintaining records for current staff.  Please send requests and queries via your departmental or college card authoriser to help us respond more quickly.  We aim to respond to emails within 14 days.


Information for administrators

All the information you will need as an authorised requestor is given below.

Please make sure you fully complete the relevant card application form before submitting it, as incomplete forms will incur delays while we wait for missing information from you.

You can only have one college and one department affiliation on the card and please remember to provide a passport-sized photo with the form. If you are not sure which type of card to apply for, please go to Card types.

Once issued, University cards for staff are sent to either the department or college. Cards for students are sent directly to the college.

Please note that we do not deal with access issues. If there is a problem, please speak with the departmental or college administrator of the relevant building. You can find further details by going to the FM Helpdesk.

Staff or student with a card query?

  • If you are a member of staff and have a question about your card, please speak to your Departmental or College administrator or HR.
  • If you are a new student please contact the Graduate Admissions Office on
  • If you are an existing student please contact your College office who will advise you.

University card administration

The following University Card application form must be used by college and department administrators for staff and academic visitors. The form may be printed and completed by the applicant but must be signed by the authorised signatory for the relevant college or department, and returned to the University Card Office.

Staff members who are transferring between departments/colleges do not need to complete a new application form. All you need to do is email the Card Office, provide the dates when the cardholder is leaving/joining the college or department and confirm any new status or end date, if applicable.

Please note:

  • If a staff member is requesting college and department affiliation, the paperwork will need to be signed off by both concerned parties before it is sent to the Card Office.
  • There is space for two authorised signatures on the form.
  • The department/college to originally complete the application must forward it on to the other department/college.
  • Once both parties have authorised the form, it can then be submitted to the Card Office.

Application form

Please download and complete the form below. You will need your single sign on details to access this.


Departmental Visiting Student cards can be issued by departments to visiting students who do not meet the criteria for Recognised or Visiting student status, but who require email access and/or building access.

These cards should only be used for students who are invited to study in a University department for a short period (normally for a few weeks/months and no longer than one year).

Departments can elect to choose an @department or @visiting email address.

Application form

Please download and complete the form below. You will need your single sign on details to access this.



Virtual Access status is available for those who are not members of the University - such as external tutors, hospital consultants and external contractors - but who do need to have access to certain web based facilities (for example: OxCORT, medical teaching sites or college web-based services like meal bookings).

The Virtual Access application form should be completed, signed by the authorising body, and returned to the University Card Office. You must stipulate whether the Virtual Access is for an academic or a non-academic. An Oxford Single Sign On user name will be created and sent to the authorising college or department to send to the status holder.

Please note:

  • This is a virtual status and so no physical card will be issued.
  • The Virtual Access Status account holder will have no access to libraries or IT Services help, even in the management of this account. Virtual Access status is valid for a maximum of one year, unless they are external supervisors.  
  • Virtual Access status holders can also register their email address. Notification of expiry will be sent one month before the account is due to expire and, if appropriate, an extension can be requested by the administrator.

Application form

Please download and complete the form below. You will need your single sign on details to access this.


The Council Secretariat is now responsible for the administration of Congregation membership. 

You can find information about membership and the latest forms available by visiting the Council Secretariat Membership website.

Completed nomination forms must be authorised by the Head of College, Head of Department or faculty/divisional board secretary and returned by the college or department administrator to the following address: 

Congregation Membership Administrator, Council Secretariat, University Offices, Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD.

For further information please email  or call +44 (0)1865 270139.

Card renewals

Card holders receive an email one month prior to the date that their University Card is due to expire to advise them to contact their college or department administrator to arrange for a card renewal.

To authorise the renewal, please notify the University Card Office by email, providing the Name, Date of Birth, and current University Card barcode (if possible) of the card holder. We will then issue the new University Card and send it onto you. At this point, please destroy the old card surrendered.

Please note; 

  • when renewing a card, we require the full name, card number, extended date and reason for renewal.
  • If you require a new photo on a card already issued there is a charge of £15.
  • a card request for staff moving jobs within the University can be emailed - no form is required.
  • if a member of staff is joining your department/college in a new role but already has a card - their new card will be issued nearer the start date so they do not lose access before they finish their current role

Renewing or updating your photograph

A new photo must be provided when your current card photo is more than 10 years old, is poor quality or if the staff member's appearance has changed considerably.

When the card is due for renewal, please ensure that the photograph is still suitable. 

Please note,

  • The photograph on the card should be a reasonable likeness.
  • The new photograph must be a named jpeg, you can email the new photograph to the University Card Office for uploading to the card database.
  • Electronic images can be used for replacement cards only.

Card replacements

  • When requesting a replacement card, we require the full name, card number and reason in the email
  • If you are reporting a card as lost or stolen, we will issue a replacement with a new card number. It cannot be reversed if the original card is then found. See lost or stolen cards.
  • If a card is reported as being faulty but it turns out the access system in the building is the issue, then we may charge £15 for issuing a replacement card.

For students

Students who wish to request a name change need to contact their college who will liaise with the Academic Records Office on the student’s behalf to get the required change processed.

Once the change has been made to the student’s record, the Card Office will be notified and a new card produced.

Guidance for college administrators on how to process a name change for students can be found on the Academic Records Office WebLearn site.

For department staff

Name changes for department staff should first be reported to any relevant local systems, if applicable (i.e. the HR system CORE).

The changes will feed through to the card database automatically and the staff member will then be contacted to verify they require a new University Card.

For college staff or academic visitors

Name changes for college staff or academic visitors who are not in CORE can be processed by emailing the Card Office to request a new card. Legal proof of the name change must be provided.

The photograph on the card should be a reasonable likeness. A new photograph must be provided when the current photograph is more than 10 years old or if the staff member's appearance has changed considerably. So when the card is due for renewal, please ensure that the photograph is still suitable.

You can send the new photograph for the University Card as a jpeg file by emailing the University Card Office for uploading to the card database. Electronic images can be used for replacement cards only.

Lost or stolen cards

If a student or staff member loses their card or has it stolen, please inform us straight away so we can stop the card.  A new card will be issued with a new number on but it will not be sent until we receive payment. The payment of £15 should be made by the student or staff member at the University's online store. On receipt of payment, we will send you the new card.

Cards reported as Stolen can be replaced free of charge if a crime report number is provided.


Guidance for administrators

You can find further support here


Contact us

+44 (0) 1865 2 70576