After much consideration and consultation, it has been decided that catering services provided by Compass will be suspended until March 2021 due to fewer staff and students in buildings. During this time, departments can make arrangements as needed from December 2020 to March 2021 for delivery services. An update on returning services for Trinity term will be shared on this webpage closer to the time.
If you have a vending machine this will continued to be serviced by a Compass sub-contractor.
If you receive milk deliveries from Compass you will need to make alternative arrangements for this period.
If you are making temporary catering arrangements whilst Compass services are suspended you should check any supplier has the appropriate safety and compliance measures in place. We recommend checking the below:
- Are they registered with the local authority?
- Ask for a copy of their food safety risk assessment, a fire risk assessment and Covid secure risk assessment. Read and check these are sufficient.
- Ask for a copy of their Public, Product & Employers Liability insurance.
- If a mobile van uses a gas cylinder ask to see a copy of their gas safety certificate.
- Check their ‘scores on the doors’ food hygiene rating. We would recommend looking for a provider with a minimum score of 4.
- Ask whether they pay staff a living wage
- If they are trading on a public road, check they have an appropriate street trading licence.
Please note that any use of internal spaces by a temporary provider would involve a lengthy contract and input from a property perspective so we advise against this. Mobile or delivery services would be the recommended options.