University Card Office

Coronavirus update

The University Card Office is returning to full capacity and is working to reduce the backlog in requests and cards from the start of the lockdown. It is prioritising cards for departmental buildings which have been given Divisional approval to open or are about to open. We will provide further updates when services have returned to normal.

Our aim is to make the application, renewal and replacement process as user-friendly as possible for departmental/college administrators and authorised requestors who are applying on behalf of others. 

Staff or student with a card query?

  • If you are a member of staff and have a question about your card, please speak to your Departmental or College administrator or HR.
  • If you are a new student please contact the Graduate Admissions Office on
  • If you are an existing student please contact your College office who will advise you.